Tuesday 4 September 2018

What Do I Get? (third letter to Lowri)


The heatwave seemed even hotter yesterday in Stretford and Chorlton and I only saw one crazy melanoma addict sunbathing on the yellowing grass in Longford Park. I hope she had the factor 9. The air in Hulme stinks of smoke that has blown in from the fire. Lucky for me the Peer Hat doesn’t have kitchens under the venue so doesn’t turn into a sweatbox like Fuel. Quite a many people turned up to hear Laura James sing her pleasant folky songs, sometimes with just her guitar and sometimes with a cellist and keyboarder who she bizarrely informed us were not her lovers, or something like that, which got her an odd look from the cellist. She seemed quite nervous. Upstairs afterwards the DJ got me dancing to some old punk rock songs after a line of people tried and failed to can can to Michael Jackson. An artist called Aki who often paints in the Peer Hat, and paints pictures of bands as they play, painted a picture of me dancing to “What Do I Get?” by Buzzcocks and wrote the words of the song as he remembered them around my head. He got the words all wrong but the gist of them is there and they make the picture seem quite sad. If he’d painted me singing through a paper tube to “2 by 4” and “The Man Whose Head Expanded” by The Fall, as I did just before I had to catch the last 256 bus home, and mashed up the words, that would have been way more interesting! I also turned “Heart of Glass” into karaoke and my Debbie Harry impression got people laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment