Tuesday 4 September 2018

Roland and Evans (first letter to Lowri)


Dear Lowri Evans,
Have you flown to Brazil yet? Or were you planning to swim there? I learnt to swim as a child but I’ve never learned how to fly, so it’s lucky for me that some clever fellow invented the aeroplane. A wise man once wrote that the art of flying is falling over and missing the ground, but I gave up after too many bruised knees. Yesterday evening I went to the Peer Hat to listen to an improvising trio playing guitar, drums and modular synth. You might remember David Birchall who played guitar. He played bass in the band Cornish Tin Mines who were crazy enough to let me vocalise over their music the first time we met, when your band Hotpants Romance shouted for a Sugar Fix at Stuart, Vixen, Ben and Adam’s house on Albert Road in Levenshulme. I don’t think they are hip to combining dead fish with improvised music yet, but David does have a CD with another trio where they all sit naked in a communal bath in Japan on the cover photo, so perhaps there is hope for them. It also amused me that they used a bass drum made by Evans and an amp made by Roland, which suggested to me that Life the Universe and Everything are trying to tell me that we should start this facebook art project as you suggested. They made fifty pounds and in a terrible approximation of an Australian accent I suggested they spend it on burgers for a barbecue even though I’m a vegetarian. I suppose I must have been drunk. I have also remembered two Wire songs about fish:

Wire – Playing Harp for the Fishes / Fishes Bones

No comments:

Post a Comment