Tuesday 28 April 2015

Wire In Liverpool

My friend Steve went to see Wire in Liverpool the day before I went to Hebden Bridge. I didn't go as Desmadrados Soldados de Ventura were blasting the Roadhouse In Manchester for a mere quid. This is how Steve remembered the gig:

Wire were stunning in Liverpool. I'm loving the new LP, a tall feat since Change Becomes Us is probably my favourite LP of theirs since Pink Flag. Split Your Ends is the one I have on repeat play. The people I went with were all new Wire converts via CBU (not Cluster Bomb Unit, another great band). They played very little of the previous album, but my friends were delighted by the inclusion of Adore Your Island. No Drill or Map Ref or any of the classic oldies but no complaints. I see other gigs have included Drill & Spent & Another The Letter & only 1 song from CBU (I think we got 2 or 3). Our mutual friend Jenny the goth was shouting "Godflesh! Godflesh" during the epic version of Harpooned. Liverpool encore included Brazil & they finished with Boiling Boy. I've never been very good at remembering what Wire songs are called so can't give too much more help with the setlist. But one of my friends took it home with him so if I see it again I'll see what's written on it. Another friend insisted on buying us endless rounds of beer until the final one when he was too drunk to remember his pin number anymore so we all had to pay for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment